Date: 29th March 2016 at 12:48pm
Written by:

An Ian Gayle own-goal handed Woking an equaliser, cancelling out Kevin Lokko’s opener, but Nortei Nortey bagged the winner with a cute flick to end Welling’s 23-game winless run.

The Cards ended their six-game losing streak at home to rock-bottom Kidderminster Harriers on Saturday with a 1-1 draw, and had an ideal chance to pick up some more points at 23rd placed Welling.

Two games in three days over the Easter Bank Holiday Weekend prompted Garry Hill to make four changes. Joe Robinson and Cameron Norman came in at the full-back positions while Godfrey Poku and Matt Robinson were introduced into midfield.

Despite some heavy rainfall on Sunday evening, the Park View Road pitch was in good condition and Welling should have had a penalty in the opening stages as Joey Jones dallied before bringing down Sahr Kabba. Amazingly the referee awarded a free-kick to Woking.

After this early scare, Woking began to grow into the game as Jones’ looping header from a corner struck the crossbar. Jake Cole had to be alert to save from the lively Kabba.

Daniel Carr, impressive in the first-half, led the line well with some good hold-up play and direct running. After beating two Welling players, he was eventually felled and from the resulting free-kick John Goddard’s strike crashed against the crossbar.

But for all of Woking’s possession, it was the home side that broke the deadlock. Lokko beat Brian Saah in the air at the back post to head in from a corner in the 28th minute.

Five minutes later, Woking hit the woodwork for the third time. This time, Goddard hit a post with a toe-poke and as the ball was loose in the Welling six yard box, they somehow managed to scramble it away.

Just before the break, Woking were dealt another blow with Goddard forced off with a suspected hamstring injury. It was the last thing Hill and Woking fans would have wanted, to lose their most influential and consistent player this season. It could well be the last time that Woking fans see him in the Red and White halves.

The Cards would have rightly felt hard done-by to be behind at half-time, but after the interval they got the bit of luck that they deserved. Matt Robinson, who was much more involved in the second half, tried to pull the ball back but Gayle stretched out a leg and turned the ball into his own net.

It seemed as if Woking would go on to win the game following the equaliser but Jones, who was already booked, needlessly barged ex-Woking player Kadell Daniel into the hoardings, conceding a free-kick. The referee resisted sending Jones off, but the Woking centre-back was substituted shortly after the free-kick that he gave away when it was flicked in by Nortey at Cole’s near post.

Woking had their chances to level. Keiran Murtagh over from six yards before Giuseppe Sole was off-target from Robinson’s pull-back.

Cole was forced into making some more saves to keep Woking’s hopes alive but it was all in vain as the Welling fans were elated at the sound of the full-time whistle.

The result leaves Woking in 14th place, having picked up only three points from a possible 33, six defeats from seven and winless in the last 11 league games.